Sunday, January 6, 2013

Slow Cooked Whole Wheat Cinnamon Donuts

Slow Cooked Cinnamon Balls
My family loves donuts but rarely eats them.  I was excited when I saw this recipe.  A few weeks ago I signed up for Grocery Shrink and for the past two weeks have enjoyed lots of yummy recipes.  I made these last night and we ate them this morning.  They were so delicious and super easy to make!  I prepared the dough last night and put it in the crock pot.  This morning when we woke up they were ready.  Thanks Grocery Shrink for another delicious meal!

Ingredients for 4-6 people:

Dough: 

1/2 plus 1/3 cup warm water
2 tsp oil
1 Tbs honey
1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups flour (whole wheat, unbleached or a combo - I did a combo)
2 tsp yeast

Other ingredients:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs butter, melted

Icing:

2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs milk


Directions:

I put everything in my Breville Mixer with the dough hook and mixed until doughy. Or you can mix the dough in your bread machine.  I pulled apart the bread dough into 1 inch pieces, rolled into balls or made little donuts.  If you don't want to make the dough you could use store bought bread dough.  However, this dough was so delicious and easy to make, I'd suggest trying it.

Combine cinnamon and brown sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll each ball into melted butter and then in sugar mixture. Place in greased slow cooker. Place a paper towel under the lid to collect condensation. Cook on low for 3 hours. Or you can put these on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until you start to smell them cooking.

Before serving.  Mix powdered sugar and milk (2/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbs milk), drizzle over top of cooked rolls.

I put everything in the crock pot last night, plugged my crock pot into my automatic light timer and let it cook while we were sleeping. My husband and I both woke up before 5am last night anyway and we checked on it to make sure it was working. They were very good and a lot healthier than donuts. Took care of our donut craving!

Before I cooked them


This morning, all done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...