Friday, April 2, 2010

Drei Tage Fieber

I wanted to pass this along to my expat friends and followers who have young children.  A few weeks ago, my 9-month old son had a high temperature (102.9 degrees Fahrenheit, 39.4 degrees Celsius).   He was cranky and not his normal happy self.  I took him to the doctor because he wasn't eating well and started throwing up.  I felt like the doctor had him get a lot of unnecessary tests.  He has two doctors, one American and one German.  We should have gone to the German doctor because the German doctor most likely would have known what it was without having to have my child get his blood drawn, a catheter, x-rays, etc.  It ended up that my baby had Drei Tage Fieber (Three Day Fever).  I found out that this is a very common childhood illness in Germany.   95% of children in Germany get this illness. The age children who get it are typically 6 months - 3 years old.  The symptoms are a high fever for three days followed by a rash that lasts for one day.  The rash does not itch. Once a child gets this disease he/she is immune for life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for the note. My daughter who is 11 month old just got the same. 3 days of crazy fever for her and sleepless nights for me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...